Sometimes, you need a chocolate boost. These chocolate chip cupcakes give an extra dose of chocolate! I love the classic combo of vanilla cupcakes and chocolate frosting, but the tiny bits of chocolate inside the cupcake make an added surprise. Plus, on a whim I made the frosting with dark chocolate and that was EVERYTHING. It gave the whole thing a depth that you get from a really good dark chocolate bar, complementing the sweetness of the cupcake perfectly.
Cream the butter & sugar.
Alternate adding the wet ingredients and dry ingredients.
Add the chocolate chips last! Mini ones work best because they distribute more evenly.
Bake 16-18 minutes, then set on a rack to cool.
While they’re cooling, whip up the frosting! Wait until everything’s cool to frost.
It’s like little surprises inside each bite!
Look at those bad boys! So rich. SO ADDICTIVE
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting
Makes 16-20 cupcakes.
For the chocolate chip cupcakes:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups mini chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp half and half or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease or line two muffin tins.
- Beat the butter, then beat in the sugar until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the egg and combine.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the wet ingredients: milk, oil, vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt.
- Add the milk mixture and flour mixture alternately to the sugar until everything is just combined.
- Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips, preferably by hand.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, then sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 16-18 minutes. They’re done when touching the top bounces back, and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- While the chocolate chip cupcakes cool, make the frosting! First, sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
- Beat the butter for a few minutes until fluffy. Add the sugar mix, a little at a time, alternating with the half and half. If needed, add a tiny bit of salt. Beat for a few more minutes to get the fluffiest frosting possible!
- Don’t frost until the cupcakes have fully cooled.
Cupcake recipe is based on this one, and frosting recipe is my own invention!
Don’t mind me, I’ll just be trying not to eat all of these at once. How do you stop eating chocolate chip cupcakes?
If chocolate chip cupcakes aren’t your thing, you can see more of my favorite desserts here!
What’s your favorite chocolate indulgence?
The links above contain affiliate links, which means I get a few cents (at no extra cost to you) if you book or buy something via that link. This helps me keep costs down and posts up! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.