Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Bread is a decadent way to eat dessert for breakfast!
This post contains affiliate links. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.
I hope everyone is enjoying some slower days in this last week of 2016! We’re watching lots of TV and playing with our Christmas presents. In the spirit of this holiday laziness, here’s an easy but festive breakfast bread.
I love desserts masquerading as breakfast. It’s as if adding cinnamon or fruit makes them acceptable for the main dish. So how do you make something as tasty as cinnamon bread better?
You add chocolate!
This quickbread comes together easily and uses mostly ingredients you already have. It’s great for hosting overnight guests: breakfast is easy and uncomplicated, and you can make it in advance!
Original recipe here.
Start with the cinnamon sugar swirl.
It’s as easy as mixing it together. Set aside for later.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients – don’t overbeat!
Pour half the batter into a greased loaf panloaf pan, then spread most of the cinnamon sugar on top.
Add the rest of the batter, the rest of the cinnamon, and then top with a few extra chocolate chips. Bake for 350°F for 50-60 minutes!
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice to any other percentage of milk. Just remember to remove a tablespoon of milk to equalize the liquid going into your recipe. Meaning: put the lemon juice in your measuring cup first, then fill to one cup with milk. Stir and let sit for five minutes, and you’ve got fake buttermilk!
Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cups granulated sugar (for the swirl) plus 1/4 cup (for the bread)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Make the cinnamon swirl by mixing the cinnamon and 1/3 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Sift flour and combine with dry ingredients (baking soda, salt and chocolate chips). In another bowl, whisk the egg, sugar and brown sugar together. Add to that the buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Add the sugar mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Grease a 9 inch loaf pan well, and pour in half the batter. Make sure the chocolate chips get distributed in both layers! Add most of the cinnamon sugar on top. Pour on the rest of the batter and top with leftover cinnamon sugar and a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, loosely covered with foil. It’s cooked when a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely (another hour or so) before taking out of the pan.
This cinnamon chocolate chip bread is SUCH a great bread. Who doesn’t love a quick bread with cinnamon and chocolate chips? Yes please!
What’s your favorite dessert for breakfast?