This kale and pomegranate salad is the perfect transition meal after the holidays: it’s flavorful and fun, but also good for you!
‘Tis the season for everyone to try to eat better than they did during the holidays! Are you trying to recover? I’m against the word diet: it usually brings way too much guilt or stress along with it, when the whole goal is to actually be nicer to your body. Okay, soap box over, back to delicious food that’s good for you!
This is the best kind of salad: good ingredients that are mostly things I’m already buying, without overcomplicated prep. It’s sweet and savory, with just enough crunch and hearty kale. It’s based on a couple different ones I’ve scouted, but closest to this one.
If you’re like my husband and can’t eat a salad without meat, try topping it with a piece of salmon. Even better if you marinate it in some of the dressing!
I included the dressing that Kelly at Eat Yourself Skinny made with it – its got a delicious mustardy flavor that contrasts really nicely with the brightness of the pomegranates. But if you’re not into making your own, I really liked it with a basic poppy seed dressing. If you’re serving all of it to a group, go ahead and dress the salad. But if you’re just making it for a week of lunches, do it day by day. Nobody likes drenched salads.
Kale and Pomegranate Salad
For the salad:
- 6 cups kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- (optional) 4 salmon fillets
For the dressing (double if you’re marinating the salmon):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt & pepper
- To make the dressing: combine all ingredients. I like to do in a mason jar so you can pop the lid on and give it a good shake!
- If you’re making the salmon: marinate in half the dressing for an hour, then bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package, or like this: rinse the quinoa, then put in a pot with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. You can tell it’s done when the little tails appear. Let it sit a few more minutes covered.
- Mix together kale, bacon, walnuts, cranberries, pomegranate seeds and quinoa. Set aside.
- Toss the salad with the dressing until lightly coated. Enjoy!
Kale and pomegranate salad has easy ingredients, tastes delicious and it’s pretty good for you! What more can you ask of a salad?? If you’re looking for other healthy meal options, try this kitchen sink curry, hearty sweet potato soup, or greek chicken bowls.
What are you doing this month to recover from the holidays? Comment below, I’d love to hear from you!
All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.