These Mexican grain bowls are the perfect meal option for a week’s worth of healthy lunches!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I get a few cents (at no extra cost to you) if you book or buy something via that link. This helps me keep costs down and posts up! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.
I love meal prepping. It’s the best way to ensure I eat healthy lunches whether I eat at home or at an office: a filling, balanced lunch that keeps me moving all afternoon. I’m the type of person who doesn’t mind eating the same thing for 3 days in a row for lunch as long as it actually tastes good. Not eh, these are okay but really stinkin good.
Mexican grain bowls check all the boxes for this! They’re filling, they’re delicious, and they’ve got enough good stuff in them that you can mix them up so meals aren’t the same every day.
If you’re preparing a week’s worth of lunches at once, my suggestion would be to cut the avocado the morning of, or bring it with you uncut, so it doesn’t turn brown and oxidize.
This meal also makes a fantastic hosting options: throw each ingredient in serving bowls instead of portioning it out, and you’ve got an effortless taco buffet! I love serving tacos because everyone can get exactly what they want and they’re honestly not much work: win-win for hosting.
One note: I used spinach here because I love the extra boost of vitamins you get from spinach that you won’t get from iceberg. Use whatever lettuce you want – any vegetable is a good choice, right?
Mexican Grain Bowls
For the chicken:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch paprika
- pinch cayenne, or to taste
- 2 cans black beans
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 bag lettuce or spinach
- 1 can black olives
- 12 oz tomatoes
- 4-5 avocados
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- First, set the rice to cook however you normally do it. I have a rice cooker and use it weekly.
- Then make the chicken: slice into strips while heating olive oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken for a few minutes, then add 1 cup water and spices. Turn heat down to a simmer and let the chicken finish cooking and the liquid reduce.
- Slice up the peppers, olives, avocados, tomatoes and lettuce. Cook the corn and beans separately, either on the stove top or microwave. Add cumin, chili powder and salt to each and season as you like it.
- Time to make some meals! Combine everything in containers in the ratios you want. Thinking closer to salad? Load up the veggies and treat the salsa as a dressing. Want more of a rice bowl? Double the rice.
Loved these? Try my Greek chicken bowls for another great meal prep option!
13 thoughts on “Mexican Grain Bowls”
I’m all about eating healthier as a lifestyle now, not just a diet fix, so this looks perfect to me!
Yes yes yes! (Because let’s be real, I’m not going to stick with any diet fix in the long run. I love dessert too much.)
Can you just come to my house and cook for me? Literally every recipe you post makes my mouth water!
Thanks chica!!! 🙂
Totally making this tonight! I could eat Mexican food for every single meal!
Me too! Mexican food is the best!
Love the recipe.. I am right now in to healthy recipes and this sounds perfect for me….I can eat Mexican food anyday…would totally try this
I’m with you! I just got back from a week in Mexico and got Chipotle takeout for dinner 😉 Love me some Mexican food!
I’m obsessed with the whole grain/buddha bowl thing at the moment, have been saving loads of recipes! and I always love beans and sweet corn together so this looks fab.
Love Mexican flavours and food, this looks and sounds so delicious and healthy, would love to try this.
Me too! It’s one of my favorites!
[…] Mexican Grain Bowls […]
[…] Mexican Grain Bowls […]