These Chinese chicken lettuce wraps are loosely based on PF Chang’s, with a few changes to make them easy to whip up but just as tasty!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All content copyright Teaspoon of Nose 2012-2024.Jump to Recipe
Part of the reason we chose Chinese food for our Christmas Eve feast is that my family goes to P.F. Chang’s every year for Christmas Eve dinner. I don’t remember how we started, but it’s
I don’t know about your family, but ours is obsessed with their chicken lettuce wraps. It’s the one thing we get every time, and they’re always devoured as soon as they touch the table. So when we decided to make a Chinese feast, these had to be on the menu.
I’ve tried a few different versions of the copycat recipes, all complicated with lots of steps and take entirely too much work for an appetizer to a major meal. So I got a little creative and whipped these up.
The verdict: huge success! These babies are a bit saucier than the
Butter lettuce makes better cups, but I love the crunch of iceberg lettuce for this one, so I usually choose iceberg.
They’re designed as an appetizer, but could easily be a weeknight meal that you can whip up in a flash. Not into lettuce wraps for dinner? Serve over a bed of rice, or turn into a meal-sized salad by putting the lettuce on the bottom!
For best results, serve with dumpling dipping sauce. Because if there’s anything better than chicken lettuce wraps, it’s chicken lettuce wraps smothered in more deliciousness.
Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 8-oz can diced water chestnuts
- 3 scallions
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- iceberg or butter lettuce
- Dice the onion, garlic, and water chestnuts (if not pre-diced). Grate the ginger and slice the scallions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add both oils, and when nearly smoking, add chicken. Cook until chicken is browned, about 5-8 minutes. Remove any excess liquid.
- Add onion, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sriracha, and hoisin sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add water chestnuts and scallions and cook another 2 minutes. Adjust flavoring as you want.
- Serve 1/4 cup of chicken mixture inside each lettuce cup.
Chinese chicken lettuce wraps that take less than 30 minutes and you’ll love the end result!
Want more recipes? Follow me on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration and easy meals!