These easy egg cups are the perfect weekday breakfast to get you out the door on time and still eat a good breakfast!
Figuring out breakfast is a daily struggle for me. That’s because I typically get up exactly as early as I need to without any extra time.
I’m not a snooze button fan, I just start with the alarm set for the precise amount of minutes I need to get out the door on time. Now that I’m working out in the mornings, that means I put my gym bag, work bag, and purse next to the door the night before and set the alarm for 15-20 minutes before leaving. It’s enough time to check my Instagram feed, throw on some clothes, grab something to eat and hit the road.
Meaning, breakfast has to be fast and portable. Usually a banana does the trick, and I’ve gone through phases of hard boiled eggs. Individual sized yogurts are another favorite. But each of those feels pretty spartan on their own – certainly I only hit one food group, and post workout I don’t really have time to eat anything else before work.
Enter: egg cups. These muffin-like servings of scrambled eggs are individually portioned, can be as healthy or as flavorful as you want, and offer a good mix of protein and veggies for your morning!
Start by sauteing your veggies. Onions first!
After a couple minutes, add the other veggies that need cooking. Today I used peppers & carrots.
Finally, add in the spinach, just long enough to wilt.
When the veggies have cooked, whisk your eggs, milk, and spices.
Divide the veggies amongst the muffin tin. Add any meat or cheese too – I included some leftover pork, which was DEFINITELY a good decision.
Distribute the egg amongst the cups. Don’t fill them this full, they expand.
Fresh out of the oven: puffed up and gorgeous!
Cute enough for a brunch and easy enough for early mornings!
Keep them in the fridge and microwave for 30 seconds for an easy and protein-packed breakfast!
EASY EGG CUPS
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- spices of your choosing (this time, I used garlic salt and a Greek seasoning blend)
- diced onion
- diced peppers
- diced tomatoes
- other veggies
- cheddar cheese
- Saute your veggies. Vary the cooking times to get everything softened properly: start with onions, then add peppers a couple minutes later, then tomatoes, and finally the spinach just until wilted.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl until well beaten. Add milk and spices; blend thoroughly.
- Grease a muffin tin, and divide the veggies and cheese between them. Also add any meat you want (bacon, sausage or another meat that you’ve got laying around).
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the veggies.
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes, until fluffy and golden brown on top.
So go, with a filling breakfast!
The links above contain affiliate links, which means I get a few cents (at no extra cost to you) if you book or buy something via that link. This helps me keep costs down and posts up! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.