Making sweet potato fries at home is easier than you think! Here’s everything you need to know to make the real deal.Jump to Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.
Is there anything better than freshly-made fries? Seriously. They’re just so good. And they’re not the same after 15 minutes of being a takeout box. So today, we’re going to make amazing sweet potato fries at home!
Yes, we’re deep-frying them. I love oven fries just as much as the next kid, but honestly, they’re not the same thing. It’s worth knowing how to do both!
If you fall in love with frying, I do love our little fryer. It’s super safe, easy to use, and not that expensive! It’s a good birthday gift if you like fun kitchen gadgets.
If you don’t want another appliance, you can easily do this in a stock pot! Just get the biggest one you have and add a candy thermometer and you’re ready to get frying.
The secret to frying things is small batches. If you do too many at once, it brings the oil temperature down, which means soggy or overly greasy fries. So doing a small handful at a time is the best way to go.
As soon as you pull them out, sprinkle with salt. This lets it sink in a little and then they’re perfectly salted for dinner!
I’ve also made them with an air fryer – they’re good, and closer to the real thing than oven fries, but still not that super cravable french fry effect. My advice is to give the real deal a shot and see how good sweet potato fries can be at home!
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 liter grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
- Chop the sweet potatoes into fries. In a fryer or large stock pot, heat the oil to 375°F.
- When the oil is at temperature, add a small handful of fries to the oil. It should bubble up.
- Let cook for 3-4 minutes, checking after 3. When the color is looks a little bit darker, they're done!
- Remove from the oil and spread on a paper towel or clean cloth to allow excess oil to drain. Sprinkle generously with salt and add the next batch to the oil.
- Repeat until everything is fried! These are best eaten right away.