This simplified version of Shepherd’s Pie will be ready in 30 minutes and tastes delicious, making it the perfect weeknight meal!
This post contains affiliate links. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.Jump to Recipe
Y’all, this recipe is straight out of my childhood. It’s simple, it’s filling, and it pleases everyone’s tastebuds! Doesn’t hurt that it comes together in about 30 minutes, over half of which is baking.
Real talk: you can definitely use instant mashed potatoes here. I love homemade and the box stuff is nowhere near, I get it. But I also get that throwing together dinner in less than 30 minutes is a high priority at the end of the day, so instant potatoes it can be! That being said, the homemade stuff doesn’t take a ton more time.
First, brown the beef. While that’s browning, start on the potatoes. Once the beef is browned, drain the fat.
Add veggies, spices, and soup. Stir until everything is coated with the soup.
Meanwhile, finish off your potatoes. Instant potatoes aren’t nearly as good as homemade, but
Transfer the meat into a circular Le Creuset or 8×8 inch baking dish, then cover with potatoes. Logan is a perfectionist made sure there’s perfectly equal coverage. I usually just scoop them on in great big dollops until they’re all in the dish. Your call.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes and you’ve got dinner done!
Hearty, filling comfort food. And almost stupidly easy to make!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can green beans drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp dehydrated onions
- 1 cups mashed potatoes real or instant
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brown ground beef. While that’s cooking, prep the mashed potatoes. For better tasting instant ones, use whole milk or cream and garlic salt.
- Once the beef is done, remove grease. Throw in the vegetables, dehydrated onions and can of condensed soup. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Stir until everything is coated in the soup. Transfer the beef mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish. Top with potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the tips of potatoes are just beginning to brown and the bottom layer is bubbling.
This is one of our best go to dinners, and it’s also one of my husband’s favorites! Don’t you love it when delicious food is also easy??
What’s on your go-to weeknight meal list? I’d love some inspiration!!
For more recipe inspiration, follow me on Pinterest!