Y’all, this recipe is straight out of my childhood. It’s simple, it’s filling, and it pleases everyone’s tastebuds! Doesn’t hurt that it comes together in about 30 minutes, over half of which is baking.
Confession: I’m less that proud to admit that 80% of the time I use instant mashed potatoes. I love homemade and the box stuff is nowhere near, I get it. But I also get that throwing together dinner in less than 30 minutes is a high priority at the end of the day, so instant potatoes it is.
First, brown the beef. While that’s browning, start on the potatoes.
Once the beef is browned, drain the fat.
Add veggies, spices, and soup. Stir until everything is coated with the soup.
Meanwhile, finish off your potatoes. Not nearly as good as homemade, but wayyyyyy faster for a night that I don’t have the energy to do it all.
Transfer the meat into a 9×9 inch baking dish, then cover with potatoes.
Logan being a perfectionist made sure there was an equal amount every where. I usually just scoop them on in great big dollops until they’re all in the dish. Your call.
Bake for 20 minutes, and you’re done!
It’s hard to see, but Logan got cute and carved our initials into the potatoes. Keepin the romance alive. 😉
Hearty, filling, comfort food. And almost stupidly easy to make.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can green beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can condensed tomato soup (just the can, don’t add water/milk)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp dehydrated onions
- 6 mashed potatoes, fresh or box
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brown ground beef. While that’s cooking, prep the mashed potatoes. For better tasting instant ones, use whole milk or cream and garlic salt.
- Once the beef is done, remove grease. Throw in the vegetables, dehydrated onions and can of condensed soup. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Stir until everything is coated in the soup.
- Transfer the beef mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish. Top with potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes until the tips of potatoes are just beginning to brown and the bottom layer is bubbling.
all images copyright Teaspoon of Nose