Shrimp scampi = shrimp, olive oil, garlic, butter. What more can you ask for?
This post contains affiliate links. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.
You know that moment when its 5 o’clock and you don’t know what to cook for dinner?
I hate those evenings. What in the world am I going to cook?
That moment happened to me. I knew we had shrimp, which meant there were some tasty options to choose from, but I hadn’t picked a recipe and was blanking in the moment.
On a whim, I decide to look up shrimp scampi, because who doesn’t love pasta and garlic with their shrimp?
Turns out, shrimp scampi is really easy to make!!
As in SO EASY I DIDN’T KNOW WHY I DON’T MAKE THIS ALL THE TIME!?!?
Twenty minutes and all ingredients I already had in the house. What more can you ask for in those last minute dinners??
Start with olive oil. Lots of it. When it gets hot, add the garlic.
After a minute or two, add the shrimp.
After the shrimp have cooked for a minute, add parsley, lemon juice and wine. Let it cook a few minutes more, until the shrimp is pink.
My favorite is to serve this over angel hair pasta, which means more sauce clings to the pasta, which means more flavor per bite!
Seriously: garlic, shrimp, pasta, lemon juice, wine, olive oil. I love all those things individually and togehter they are magic.
The recipe is based on Mark Bittman, whose How to Cook Everything has become the cookbook I turn to whenever I need to learn how to make a classic.
Traditionally, fresh parsley is used, but if you’re throwing it together last minute, dried parsley is fine.
Quick Shrimp Scampi
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 2 tbsp dried parsley, to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dry white wine
- Peel & devein shrimp.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
- Add the shrimp, salt, and pepper and cook on medium high. After 2 minutes, add parsley. When the shrimp is nearly done (after another 2 minute or so), stir in the wine and lemon juice.
- Eat over angel hair and top with a little more parsley when serving.
How did I not realize how simple shrimp scampi is?? What dish surprised you with how easy it is to make?