These sugar cookies are classics: buttery and rich, with the perfect amount of vanilla. Bet you can’t eat just one!
The links below contain affiliate links, which means I get a few cents (at no extra cost to you) if you book or buy something via that link. This helps me keep costs down and posts up! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.
Given the choice of cookies, I never gravitate towards “plain” sugar cookies. Why would I if chocolate chip is ever an option? But these sugar cookies have completely changed my tune. They’re rich and lovely and perfect for dipping in an afternoon cup of tea or coffee. (Or morning, I won’t judge. We can call it breakfast pastry.)
Full disclosure: I made these cookies for a friend’s birthday. I kept about half of them because I was hosting some friends in a few days and always like to have some good snacks around. However, these cookies were so stinking good that I ate them all by myself before they even arrived! That’s how seriously addictive they are. Based on this recipe, they’ve quickly become my latest cookie gift.
One note: letting the dough refrigerate is important. It helps the cookies bake properly and keeps them from spreading too much. You also don’t have to flatten them: they look a little weird, like little golden stones, and you get more of the buttery taste that is so good. But for an Instagram worthy post, I included the flattened version in the photos here.
Perfect Sugar Cookies
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus extra for coating
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease two baking sheets.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar on high for 3-5 minutes (stand mixers are great for this), until the color has lightened.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Next add the flour mixture, 1/3 of it at a time.
- Chill the dough for 3 hours or so. This lets the dough hold its shape when it bakes.
- Put some sugar in a bowl with a flat bottom. Roll bits of dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in the sugar bowl to coat. Place on the cookie sheet, then flatten with a flat object (drinking glass or measuring cup works well) until they’re each 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake 8-10 minutes – you don’t want to over-bake these. Cool completely before removing, they’ll crumble if you move them too soon.
Pretty easy for perfect sugar cookies!
What’s your favorite cookie? Do you have one you always choose, or mix it up? Leave a comment to let me know!
1 thought on “Perfect Sugar Cookies”
These look so tasty! I can never seem to bake anything. My cookies always come out so flat. 🙁