Sometimes, you need chocolate. But you’re trying to be good because it’s the new year and you just ate your body weight in sugar during the holidays but you still need chocolate. Enter: chocolate banana muffins!
These babies are made with bananas and applesauce, giving you a break from the sugar content you’d normally get from a baked good, as well as no butter or oil. But it still takes like the chocolate bakery goodness you’re craving!
Let me be clear: they still have some sugar in them. But applesauce allows the recipe have much less refined sugar. Plus the use of half whole wheat flour means they’re more filling than your typical muffin.
The recipe makes a dozen muffins. They’re perfect for baby showers, but if you’re making them you should definitely double it – the mom-to-be will definitely want to take some home!
This recipe is from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Mash the bananas with a fork, then add sugar, applesauce and egg.
- Sift dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until nearly combined. Add 1 cup chocolate chips and stir until just mixed.
- Drop the batter into the muffin tin – it should make 12 muffins. Top with a few extra chocolate chips, then bake for 18 minutes. An inserted toothpick should come out clean when they’re done.
That’s it – super easy, and all ingredients I keep in the house!
What’s your healthy-cheat food??
The links above contain affiliate links, which means I get a few cents (at no extra cost to you) if you book or buy something via that link. This helps me keep costs down and posts up! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.
12 thoughts on “Chocolate Banana Muffins”
Oh my gosh, I must try this! They look delicious! Don’t look like they’d be too bad for the waistline either. Thanks for sharing!
These look so yummy! I’m a sucker for chocolate muffins
Me too girl, me too!
They look very delicious! I must try this! Thanks for sharing!
These look AMAZING! My stomach is rumbling just thinking about them!
Oh my god I am seriously going to make these tomorrow!
Let me know how they go!!
These look fab! I love the flavour of chocolate and banana as well, particularly in pancakes so I bet I would like these!
They’re a great little treat when you’re trying to eat healthy but need a bit of a fix!
Oh my goodness! These look perfect and delicious! My mouth is drooling lol. I’m going to pick up the ingredients and make these tonight! I’m 36 weeks pregnant so it will for sure hit the spot! Thanks Girl!!