This sausage egg casserole is hands down the best brunch casserole I’ve ever had!
While I love breakfast casseroles conceptually, I usually end up finding I’m too lazy to pull them together when it comes down to it. Especially when the ingredients can be eaten separately (eggs, bacon, sausage) easier and pretty close to just as delicious, minus the extra step of baking in the oven. When I wake up in the morning, I’m hungry, so the eggs end up being scrambled with veggies and we call it a day. So I don’t make many breakfast casseroles.
Then I had this one at a friend’s house. It was so fantastic that I knew I had to give it a shot. AND LO AND BEHOLD, you do 80% of the work the night before anyway! Even better.
So give this one a shot and you’ll be Breakfast Queen.
And everyone loves the Breakfast Queen, amiright?
First, cook your sausage. Drain off excess fat.
Remove the crusts from the bread, then cut into 1/2 to 1-inch chunks (or about).
Beat eggs, and add milk, salt & mustard.
All three parts, ready to be combined.
Combine in a bowl, stir well, and add cheese.
Grease a 8×11 baking dish, then pour the mixture in. Cover and refrigerate overnight!
The next morning, let is sit on the counter for 30 minutes, then bake 40 minutes at 350°F.
The result is a golden melt-in-your-mouth egg casserole. Great for a crowd too!
Sausage Egg Casserole
- 1 lb pork sausage (I went spicy to add a kick!)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 slices bread, cut into 1/2-1 inch chunks
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the sausage in a skillet. Crumble well and drain excess fat.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs. Add milk, salt, and mustard.
- Add bread, cheese, and sausage to egg mixture.
- Grease an 8×11 baking dish and pour contents in. Cover in saran wrap and refirgerate overnight.
- The next morning, set out for 30 minutes or so before cooking. Bake (uncovered) for 40 minutes at 350°F. Top should be golden brown, and it’s done when a knife comes out clean.
all images copyright Teaspoon of Nose