Streusel Caramel Apple Pie has everything you want in an apple pie, but kicks it up a notch with more oozy goodness inside and a sweet streusel topping!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose 2012-2023.Jump to Recipe
I’m a ridiculous fan of apple pie and believe it should show up at all holiday desserts. And up until recently, I’ve been a purist: classic apple pie. If you want to get crazy, do deep dish.
Don’t mess with perfection, right?
Wrong. Because things can always get more delicious!
Streusel caramel apple pie is better in two ways, and they’re so ridiculously great that I put them both in the name. First, I improved upon that luscious amazingness that is baked apples with extra caramelly ooey gooeyness inside. Second, instead of a top crust, I did a streusel top: almost like a crumble topping, but lighter.
Since both the streusel and the caramel make this pie sweeter than the original, I went with all Granny Smiths. They bring more tartness to the dish, giving some much-needed balance.
It’s not a lot more work than regular apple pie. All it requires is an extra pan for pre-cooking the apple mixture to get some caramelization before going into the oven.
I didn’t have high hopes on this one: I knew it would be good (can you really mess up apple pie by adding more sugar and spices?). But I surprised myself by liking this one as much as – more? – than the original!
Classic apple pie, watch out. Streusel caramel apple pie is gunning for you.
This pie can 100% be made in advance, which I prioritize in my holiday desserts. However, it’s
Combine the apple mixture in a bowl, just like you would for traditional apple pie. The difference is pre-cooking it!
After the apple mixture has begun to get that lovely brown gooeyness, transfer it to a partially cooked pie shell and top with streusel mixture to finish the bake.
The result is a richer pie with more oozy filling!
One tip: go pro and make your own crust. It’s easier than you
Streusel Caramel Apple Pie
- 1 pie crust
- 6 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- For the crust: Roll out the pie crust in a 9-inch pie tin and poke holes throughout. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Put the whole dish in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Cover the pie crust with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10-12 min.
- For the filling: Peel and thinly slice the apples, coating with lemon juice to keep from browning.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, cream, sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, cornstarch, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla. Toss to combine.
- Melt 4 Tbsp butter in a large skillet. Add the apple mixture and cook over medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes.
- For the streusel: Combine remaining butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a bowl. Using two sharp knives or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into bits and mix thoroughly.
- Put the apple mixture into the crust, then generously layer the streusel on top. Cover the crust’s edges with aluminum foil to prevent too much browning, then bake for 40 minutes.
Caramel streusel apple pie offers a sweet twist on the original and should definitely make it onto your next holiday table!
Do you prefer the classics or like to mix it up?