For Taylor’s brunch-themed bridal shower, I claimed making an egg casserole. I otfen end up making desserts at these sorts of things, because I love any excuse to make something sweet. But I wanted to take advantage of the chance to cook for a crowd and expand my breakfast repertoire!
I wanted it to be gluten free and to have some veggies in there, just to sneak some extra flavors in. After spending entirely too much time on Pinterest, I ended up taking this recipe, changing it to fit my needs, and then cooking it overnight in the crockpot the night before to simplify the day’s preparation for the party! (Seriously, crock pots are possibly the best invention ever.)
Dice your peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes.
Cook the bacon chunks, then add the onion.
Add the peppers and garlic. After a few minutes, add the tomatoes. Cook until all the veggies are softened.
Let the veggies cool a bit. Meanwhile, whisk egg and milk together.
Alternate layers of potatoes, salt & pepper, cheese, and veggies.
End with potatoes and cheese!
Once all the layers are done, pour the egg mixture over everything.
Cook the crockpot on low for 8 hours.
You end up with a messy, hearty, tasty breakfast that feeds as many people as you can host!
One note: the quantities in this recipe are huge. We were feeding 30 people at this shower, and there were only two protiens, so I really didn’t want to run out. Also, I have a giant crockpot which can handle this much. Make sure you can fit all this if you keep the quantities!
CROCKPOT BREAKFAST EGG CASSEROLE
- 12 oz bacon (one package, typically), cut into chunks about 1 inch wide
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 bell peppers (yellow, red, or orange)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 16 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese *
- 2 lbs shredded hash browns, frozen
*= Cheddar is a traditional choice. This time, I used Trader Joe’s quattro formaggio – think a parmesean and fontina combo.
- Clean and dice the onion, bell peppers, garlic and tomatoes.
- Heat a large skillet, then put the slices of bacon in. Cook bacon until crisp, then add the onion, peppers, and garlic. After 2 minutes, add tomatoes as well. Cook until all veggies are softened. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs with a whisk or fork and add milk. When well combined, set aside.
- Grease your crock pot.
- Lay down a layer of hash browns – about 1/3 of the bag. Lightly sprinkle some of salt & pepper.
- Top with 1/3 of the cheese Add a layer of the bacon and veggie mix.
- Repeat steps 5 & 6 until you’ve used all the hash browns, cheese, and veggies.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything, making sure it all gets coated.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. This is a great one to set up overnight and have ready in the morning for breakfast!
What’s your favorite breakfast food to feed a crowd?
all images copyright Teaspoon of Nose