These are a lightened-up on the classic: banana chocolate chip muffins make a fantastic breakfast or snack!Jump to Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose.
I love banana bread. I have fond memories growing up of my mom making it: the kitchen would fill with that tantalizing smell, and then when it came out of the oven she’d make us wait 10 minutes for it cool down before cutting into it. Longest 10 minutes ever.
Now I still make mom’s recipe, but recently I discovered a version in muffin form that’s a little healthier in the batter, but also has chocolate chips. Any excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast, right? Plus they’re some of my husband’s favorite. So to welcome him home from Field Training, I made a batch waiting for him when he got home from the airport.
It’s such a simple recipe. Combine your wet ingredients, stir in your dry ingredients, and add those chocolate chips! From there just spoon it into your muffin tins – I’m cheap and just grease the pans instead of using cupcake liners.
Another plus: easy clean up! Just one bowl needed, and you can hand-stir everything easily!
The final product! They’re a little denser than your average muffin, I think because of the whole wheat flour combined with applesauce. And make no mistake, it’s not too dense, only less fluffy than your average muffin. But just remember, it’s WAY healthier! Yay!
Honestly, this pretty much fits my personality: making some great healthy choices, but not afraid to throw that chocolate right back in there.
Another tip: the recipe makes about 10. If I’m taking them to a brunch or people are staying over at our house I always make a double batch, but if it’s just Logan and I we try and stick to one. But the upside is they freeze pretty well, so if you’re worried about some getting wasted just toss them in the freezer!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 bananas ripe or overripe
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon plus more for sprinkling
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour can substitute all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with liners or spray. Mash bananas with a fork.
- Add sugar and egg (better if it’s slightly beaten first), then stir in applesauce and vanilla.
- Add in dry ingredients to bananas mixture, then pour into 10 muffin liners.
- Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top of each muffin, and bake for 18-20 minutes. They're done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean!
That’s it! Like I said, so easy. These are the trifecta of great: easy to make, easy to clean up,and (most importantly) delicious!
all images original to Teaspoon of Nose