What’s better than brownies? Espresso brownies!Jump to Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you have any questions about this, just click here! All images copyright Teaspoon of Nose 2012-2023.
Like any good (honorary) Italian, I love espresso. There is nothing quite as lovely as an after-lunch espresso to fuel up for an afternoon of exploring!
So today I’m sharing yet another way to enjoy espresso: in brownies! Espresso brownies give that perfect marriage of coffee and chocolate flavors in every bite.
These babies are fudgy and rich! They’re the kind of dessert that you only need one to satisfy your sweet tooth. (And I almost never say that. So keep that in mind.)
One tray of these makes about 16 brownies. They’re pretty tall – not like the pans from the box. Not hating, those are definitely one of my favorite easy desserts! But the espresso gives brownies an intensity that is just decadent.
Getting the amount of espresso right here is important. Too much and it’ makes the brownie bitter, too little and you can’t taste the coffee flavor. My suggestion is to make a cup of espresso first with the beans you plan to use. Don’t have an espresso maker? This and this are both cheap ways to make really good espresso easily!
If it’s a very strong brew or a dark roast, go a little easier on the amount of espresso (closer to 1/3 cup). If it’s a light roast or you love that coffee flavor, do the full half cup. Ultimately, it’s up to you. Once you make them once, you’ll know how much you want and nail it every time.
Saving some of the chocolate chips to put on top isn’t essential, but it makes for a more beautiful bite. If you forget and toss them all the batter, no sweat. It’ll still taste delicious.
Tools you’ll need: 8×8 baking dish, mixing bowl, pot
- 1 cup butter unsalted (227 g)
- 15 oz chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ – ½ cup espresso beans ground
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/176°C. Grease an 8×8 pan and parchment paper and line.
- Set a large bowl over a pot with water in it and boil the water. Add 11 oz of the chocolate chips and butter to the bowl and melt, stirring often.
- Once fully melted, remove from heat and add the espresso and both sugars. Stir completely. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the chocolate mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder, then gently stir into the chocolate mixture. Stir until nearly combined, then add about 1/2 cup chocolate chips and stir again until combined.
- Pour into the pan and top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until edges are slightly crispy.
- Let cool completely, for at least 4 hours, before cutting.
Want more recipes?? Follow along on Pinterest for my favorites!!
8 thoughts on “Espresso Brownies”
Looks beautiful and delicious
Thank you so much!
yummy! thank you for sharing
You’ll love them!
Yummy brownies! Have to try these at home!
They’re SO GOOD!! Get ready!
Damn, these brownies look insanely delicious. I’m saving this to try later!